Parramatta Salvation Army is currently moving to 426 Church Street, Parramatta - due to open in 2019. Our former home was located at the corner of Smith and Phillip Streets - this building was opened in 1969 and closed on 11th March 2018. Our former buiding was located on George Street, opposite the Roxy Theatre, which was our home for 50 years until the move to Smith Street.
The Parramatta Salvation Army began in September 1884 beneath the wooden railway bridge, at the corner of Church and Argyle Streets, midst fierce opposition and ridicule.
Three young men, John Dean, George Walker and Matthew Thompson were the leaders. Their enthusiasm raised curiosity and the first meeting held in the Masonic Hall, attracted large crowds.
Within two months Matthew Thompson was viciously attacked and died days later, aged only 21. The assailants apologised and no charges were made.
Parramatta Corps is one of the oldest in NSW and was often referred to as a "hard-go".
Soon the people in the community were warming to this new movement and assistance with food, furniture etc. was given to the Deans who worked tirelessly to bring the Gospel to the people of Parramatta. Their numbers increased, many found Jesus in various places wherever meetings were held, until the first citadel was built in George Street in 1919.
Wherever meetings are held: the new building, the old building, or the open air, the message preached is always the same - "turn to Jesus".
1969 - 2019: Marching On
On 3rd & 4th March 2018, we said 'goodbye' to our buildings at 34 Smith Street with a celebration concert and worship service. This was in preparation for our move to our new church home at 426 Church Street, Parramatta (expected to open 2019). These slideshows feature some of the memories of our 50 years at Smith Street: