The Salvation Army Family Tracing Service endeavours to locate family members whose current whereabouts are unknown and who are being sought for the purpose of re-uniting the family.
Due to The Salvation Army's international reach and grassroots community emphasis, our team is often able to help reunite family members even across national boundaries.
The Family Tracing Service can also assist with mediation where needed.
How we can help
Searches can take a few days or a few years and the service is not able to guarantee a time frame.
The service is not oriented to look for people who have only recently left home.
On occasions the service has helped with urgent requests. Crisis cases do occur when family members are being sought because of terminal illness, accident or death.
Reconciliation or reunion often brings out intense feelings of completeness and renewal. The service also plays an advocacy role when the people concerned may not know each other or the relationship is strained.
All avenues of investigation are strictly confidential and no information will be revealed without the consent of the person being traced.
This service involves
- Searching for and hopefully locating the missing relative
- When located, mediation is provided where needed for connection, reunion and/or reconciliation
- If the missing relative is not located then support is offered to applicant, which could include professional counselling referral
- Where required, post-search care is available to clients
- Searching for those who have been separated through adoption and wardship (service known as: Post Adoption and Special Search Service)
Please note we do not help with the following
- Locating friends
- Search for fathers without proof of paternity
- Inquiries for or by young persons under age 18
- Spouses for divorce purposes
- Legal matters
- Genealogy / family tree research
How to get started
Please complete the form below to lodge your request with us or call the office in your state, as listed.
If we believe we can help, we will send a detailed application form so you can provide all the information we need.
After reviewing the application, if we find there are no legal issues to prevent us from doing the search, we will assign a registration number and the search will begin.
We will coordinate the search with our staff around the world and advise you of our findings.
|NSW & ACT|
|Family Tracing Service||(02) 9466 3479|
|Special Search Service||(02) 9466 3478
1300 667 366
|Family Tracing Service||(07) 3222 6661|
|Post Adoption Service||(07) 3222 6663|
|For all other states please visit salvationarmy.org.au|
If you DO NOT live in Australia, please click here to find the international Salvation Army headquarters nearest you.