The Society is not organised for profit and the nature of its business and its powers are as follows:
- To create and promote interest in the history of The Salvation Army;
- To encourage the donation of information and/or materials (which may have historical value for The Salvation Army) to The Salvation Army Heritage Centre and Museum;
- To assist in the identification and evaluation of relevant information and/or materials to determine their historical significance and/or importance to the Australia Eastern territory;
- To aid in the compilation (oral, recorded and written) and preservation of such information and materials;
- To cooperate in the development of displays and encourage participation in Salvation Army Archives and Museum programs and special events.