Salvation Army membership
Soldiers and Adherents
While everyone is welcome to attend Salvation Army corps (churches), some people choose to pursue a deeper and more-formal level of commitment. These people can choose to become either soldiers or adherents.
Soldiers and adherents both affirm that a Salvation Army corps is their primary place of Christian worship. They are not employed by the Salvation Army, although some may take on paid positions by applying through conventional means. Soldiers and adherents must be at least 14 years old.
Soldiers of The Salvation Army are Christians who have undertaken a specific covenant (or promise) regarding lifestyle and beliefs. Soldiers are eligible to wear The Salvation Army uniform, however this is not compulsory. Soldiers are part of a Salvation Army corps in their local area. Soldiers testify that:
- they worship God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- they have accepted Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord
- they are committed to the work and mission to which Christ has called The Salvation Army as part of his church
- they believe in the Bible as the word of God
- they agree with The Salvation Army’s doctrines.
They also declare that:
- they will be responsive to the Holy Spirit and seek to grow in grace
- they will make the values of the Kingdom of God the standard for their lives, showing Christian integrity in their deeds, maintaining Christian ideals in their relationships, and upholding the sanctity of marriage and family life.
- they will be faithful stewards of all they have and are
- they will abstain from the use of all enslaving substances and harmful activities
- they will be active in God’s work both in sharing the Gospel and in serving the needy, and will contribute financially to its support
- they will be true to the principles of The Salvation Army.
Adherents are Christians who also pledge to support their local Salvation Army corps. While not entering into a Soldier’s Covenant, an adherent declares that they:
- Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and seek to follow Him
- Participate through worship, fellowship and service at a local Salvation Army corps
- Identify with the mission of The Salvation Army