Court and prison chaplains
Salvation Army court and prison chaplains give support, encouragement and compassion during difficult times.
Salvation Army court and prison chaplains are available to bring caring support and friendship to people and their families during any legal proceedings.
Please be aware that our chaplains are assigned to certain courts and prisons and are required to adhere to their rules.
Support at court
Our chaplains will endeavour to come alongside you during your time in court. We can also try to arrange for a chaplain to support someone you know who is going to court. This includes:
- Victims of crime - direct victims as well as families or others who have suffered
- Families of offenders - many families, particularly parents of offenders convicted of serious crimes, feel a real sense of isolation and often suffer extreme guilt and depression.
Enquiries about loved ones
Our chaplains may be able to help you find out about the welfare and/or whereabouts of someone who has been arrested and is going to court or is in prison.
Counselling or rehabilitation
When offenders seek or are instructed to enter some form of counselling or drug/alcohol/gambling rehabilitation, our chaplains help to facilitate entry into Salvation Army programs.
Our prison chaplains provide a range of supports to female, male and juvenile prisoners in assigned prisons through:
- Weekly visits, chapel services, regular Bible studies and spiritual counselling
- Ministering to prisoners after release, including directing some to Salvation Army establishments for ongoing counselling, rehabilitation or accommodation.
- Providing Christmas cheer - The Salvation Army endeavours to distribute a Christmas parcel to every prisoner in Australia.
To contact a Salvation Army court or prison chaplain, please ring Chaplaincy Services at our headquarters in Sydney or Brisbane during office hours. Our staff will endeavour to help resolve your enquiry and contact the relevant chaplain if appropriate.
Sydney - (02) 9336 3320
Brisbane - (07) 3222 6670
For after hours enquiries, please call Salvo Care Line on 1300 36 36 22 (regional NSW & Qld), (02) 8736 3292 (Sydney metro) or (07) 3831 9016 (Brisbane metro).